The Forum for the Empowerment of Women (FEW) is a non-profit organization focusing in the LGBTI sector. FEW seeks to appoint a Director to support the Board of Directors in the overall management of the organisation.
Purpose of the Job:
To provide strategic leadership in order to ensure the organisation achieves its business objectives through effective strategic management and sound corporate governance.
In the role of Director, you will be responsible and accountable for:
· Strategic leadership and direction, effective management and sound corporate governance, risk
management and contingency planning
· Building strategic relationships, advocacy, marketing and communication
· Sustainable financial health of the organisation, including sourcing funding for FEW programmes and projects
· Direction for programmes and projects
· People management and empowerment
· Development and implementation of effective internal business processes
The position reports to the Board of Directors and will be based at the FEW offices in Johannesburg.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications, skills and experience:
· Post graduate degree or diploma in the social sciences or equivalent experience
· 3 or more years relevant senior management experience at a national level, with experience in the LGBTI sector and strong feminist values
· Commitment to develop, promote and practice FEW’s, vision, mission, values and strategy
· Commitment to human rights and socio economic justice
· Visionary and strategic thinking; with strong analytical skills
· Deep understanding of issues facing black lesbian women in South Africa
· Proficiency in developing and implementing strategy, policies, processes and systems
· Highly proficient communication skills (written and oral) in English
· Ability to communicate in indigenous South African languages would be advantage
· Excellent influencing, rapport building, networking and collaboration skills with the ability to communicate at all levels within the organisation, government and donor organisations
· Experience working in partnership with civil society networks and government authorities
· Excellent presentation, advocacy, research and writing skills
· Ability to negotiate and influence change with sensitivity
· Donor and constituent interface management skills
· Professional knowledge and technical proficiency in advocacy, fund raising, project and programme management and administrative systems peculiar to the NGO sector
· Strong organising, planning and time management skills
· Highly honed work ethics and discipline
· Information monitoring
· Ability to coach and develop colleagues
· Proficient with the use of computers, including MS Office, Internet search engines and Outlook
· Willingness to undertake any tasks deemed necessary by the Board and willingness to travel
Remuneration is competitive within the sector and commensurate with experience.
Interested and suitably qualified candidates may forward a letter of application, and a CV including three contactable references to
FEW is an equal opportunities employer. Suitably qualified black lesbian women are encouraged to apply. Suitably qualified black lesbian disabled women are encouraged to apply.
Closing Date: Monday 30 January 2012
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted so if you have not heard from us within 6 weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.